Empowering steps is dedicated to continuing education and research to improve understanding and deliver best practiced treatments. Current publications on our Empowering Steps program include:
The data analysis is currently underway on the results from a 2 year longitudinal study of the Empowering Steps program. This study was conducted by Dr. Jean-Paul Collet and PhD. candidate, Mojgan Gitimoghaddam along with Dr. Anton Miller (Developmental Pediatrician), Dr. William McKillen (UBC Medical Anthropologist), Dr. Rob Wishart (Developmental Pediatrician), Dr. Louise Massé (Faculty of Medicine UBC), and Dr. Annette Majnemer (Director and Associate Dean, School of Physical/Occupational Therapy at McGill Univerisity).
The Empowering Steps team and Mojgan have just completed work on a scoping review of current available literature on Applied Behaviour Analysis, which is widely endorsed by governments and funding agencies, to better understand the standard of intervention and research. This will help to inform future research regarding the Empowering Steps program and other emerging non-ABA based therapies.
Other past publications and presentations
- Mogo E., Badillo I., Majnemer A., Duckworth K., Kennedy Sh., Symington V., Shikako-Thomas K. Using a rapid review process to engage stakeholders, inform policy and set priorities for promoting physical activity and leisure participation for children with disabilities in British Columbia. Leisure/Loisir. 2020;44 (2): 225–253.
- Mojgan Gitimoghaddam, William H. McKellin, Anton R. Miller, Jonathan A. Weiss, Annette Majnemer, Louise C. Mâsse, Rollin Brant, Vivien Symington, Robert L. Wishart and Jean-Paul Collet, Gymnastics-Based Movement Therapy for Children With Neurodevelopmental Disabilities: Results From a Pilot Feasibility Study. Frontiers in Pediatrics, May 2019 | Volume 7 | Article 186
- Presentation: Aboriginal Physical Activity & Cultural Circle 2016, Langara College April 27-30
- Gitimoghaddam M, McKellin WH, Weiss J, Miller AR, Majnemer A, Symington V, Wishart RL, Mâsse LC, Collet JP. Child-Centred Gymnastic-based Physical Activity Programs for children with neurodevelopmental disabilities: Historical Cohort. NeuroDevNet Brain Development Conference. Calgary. Canada. September 28-Oct 1, 2016.
- Gitimoghaddam M, McKellin WH, Weiss J, Miller AR, Majnemer A, Symington V, Wishart RL, Mâsse LC, Collet JP. Evaluation of a Child-Centred and Gymnastic-based Movement Therapy Program for Children and Youth with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities. NeuroDevNet Brain Development Conference. Ottawa. Canada. September 19-21, 2015.
- Gitimoghaddam M, Collet JP, Miller AR, Majnemer A, Weiss J, Symington V, Wishart RL, Mâsse LC, McKellin WH. Evaluation of a Multi-Level Gymnastic-based Comprehensive Intervention for Children and Youth with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (CYNDs): Preliminary Results. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience. 2015;47:127
- Collet JP, Wishart RL, Miller AR, Gitimoghaddam M, Symington V, Mâsse LC, McKellin WH. Learning and developing with disabilities: an interactive and adaptive child-centred habilitation program. The Early Years Conference 2014. Shaping Childhood: Factors that Matter. Vancouver, Canada. Jan 30-Feb 1, 2014
- Gitimoghaddam M, Collet JP, Miller AR, Majnemer A, Weiss J, Symington V, Wishart RL, Mâsse LC, McKellin WH. Evaluation of a Multi-Level Gymnastic-based Comprehensive Intervention for Children and Youth with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (CYNDs): Preliminary Results. Development, functions and disorders of the nervous system. ISDN 2014, NeuroDevNet 2014. Montreal. Canada. July 19-24, 2014.
- Gitimoghaddam M, Collet JP, Miller AR, Majnemer A, Weiss J, Symington V, Wishart RL, Mâsse LC, McKellin WH. Multi-Level Movement Therapy for Children and Youth with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (CYNDs): Preliminary Results from a Gym-based intervention. The 4th Health & Wellbeing in Children, Youth, and Adults with Developmental Disabilities Conference. Vancouver, Canada. October 22-24, 2014.
- Presentation: USAG International Gymnastics Congress, Pittsburgh PA: Special Needs: A toolkit for Success
- Presentation: Alberta Gymnastics Congress, Edmonton, Alberta: Introduction to Special Needs; Toolkit for Success; Communication and Relationship Building; Behavior Management
- Presentation: USAG International Fall Congress, Hartford, Con.
- Poster Presentation at the Association of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses (AAPPN)
- Certificate of Successful completion: Spectrum of Autism at the Association of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses (AAPPN)
- Motor Intervention for Children and Adolescents with Developmental disabilities: A Narrative Review, by Vivien Symington, Dr. Robert Wishart MB BS FRCPC (Pediatrics), Helen Wang BSc (Kinesiology)