Click through to access our COVID-19 Safety Plan
COVID-19 Update: October 29th, 2021
Update on Club Aviva vaccine policy:
We have received further clarification from Gymnastics BC, via Sport and the Provincial Health Organization regarding vaccines.
Effective immediately, all volunteers, support personnel, and individuals who are leading or assisting with program delivery in sport programs need to provide proof of vaccination to their gym clubs. This includes parents in parent and tot classes, such as Dynamic Duo and Little Leapers.
Therefore, we will be checking vaccines for all guardians/chaperones in all Dynamic Duo and Little Leapers classes beginning Saturday, October 30th, 2021. We will also maintain checking vaccines for all individuals 12+ (with the exception of class participants and athletes under 22) entering are building for any purpose including use of our washrooms. Please be advised spectators are still not permitted at Club Aviva.
For your information, Club Aviva implemented a staff/volunteer vaccination policy on October 1st, 2021 and all staff are vaccinated.
We have been told to expect changes in vaccine rules for class participants and athletes.
Continue reading older updates below
COVID-19 Update: October 17th, 2021
It was announced at Dr. Bonnie Henry's October 12th press conference that the provincial mask mandate has changed from individuals age 9+ to individuals 5+. This means that there will be more consistent mask requirements in the school system, and in other public spaces in BC (including in GymBC member clubs).
It is now required for athletes and participants over the age of 5 to wear masks in the common areas inside Club Aviva. Masks may be removed during gym activity.
As before, Empowering Steps clients with sensory, behavioural, or cognitive barriers to mask use are exempt from this mask mandate if necessary.
COVID-19 Update: September 16th, 2021
Club Aviva vaccine & spectator protocol effective immediately:
- At this time, Participants aged 21 & under are EXEMPT AND DO NOT need to show proof of vaccination.
- Only necessary support staff may enter the facility. If necessary, 1 parent/guardian/chaperone may enter in case of behavioural concerns.
- There are NO spectators for any classes/sessions
- Due to Provincial Health vaccination guidelines, all doors must remain locked at ALL times.
- Anyone 12 years and up NOT PARTICIPATING in any programs, entering our facility for reasons other than spectating, must show proof of vaccination.
- September 13 – October 23, 2021 vaccinated with dose 1 vaccine.
- October 24th onward, vaccinated with dose 1 and 2.
- Proof of vaccination:
- Until September 26, proof of vaccine may be an immunization record, vaccine card, or BC Vaccine Passport.
- After September 26, proof of vaccine may only be given by the BC Vaccine Passport along with a secondary piece of identification (19+ only), such as Drivers License, BCID, Passport
Please note that via Sport, Gymnastics BC, the Provincial Health Organization (PHO), and the Fraser Health Authority communicable disease & Covid-19 guidelines are forever changing. We will update you as we learn important information.
We thank you for your understanding and patience.
COVID-19 Update: September 8th, 2021
Important information regarding updated policies:
- There are no spectators permitted in our facility at this time. The only exception is essential support staff, or parents/caregivers if absolutely necessary to assist with behaviour. A mask must be worn at all times and it is preferred to have the same chaperone each week.
- For any adults entering the building: By order of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), proof of vaccination is required to access some events, services and businesses. Starting September 13, you must have at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. By October 24, you must be fully vaccinated. The requirement is in place until January 31, 2022 and could be extended. This will apply to all adults.
- We are currently waiting for guidance from Gymnastics BC and Via sport for ages 12+ participating in sports.
- Please remember to stay home if you or a family member is unwell to keep everyone safe. Participants who are ill (cold, flu or showing any COVID-19 symptoms) must stay home. If a participant becomes ill or appears ill during their session, they will be isolated with a mask and the parent/guardian will be contacted for immediate pick up. Self assessment for COVID-19: https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en
- Please continue to enter using the front door and sanitize hands upon entry
- It is mandatory for all participants age 12 and up to wear a mask in all common areas, and highly recommended for athletes under 12. Exceptions are permitted in cases of behaviour, sensory, or cognitive barriers.
- Clients do not need to wear a mask during their sessions/inside the gyms.
- Staff will continue to wear masks at all times during sessions.
- Updates will be posted on our website when new information is received from the PHO, via Sport and/or Gymnastics BC.
COVID-19 Update: July 5th, 2021
As many of you know, the government of B.C. announced last week that the COVID restrictions would be changing as of July 1st. We are currently working on a new COVID-19 Safety Plan and are updating our protocols to comply with the new phase of the restart plan and we will notify everyone of any changes. That said, until further notice, the current Club Aviva Safety Plan is still in effect. That means that masks will still be worn by all ES staff members throughout your child’s sessions. Clients will still be asked to wear masks in any common areas, but do not have to wear masks during activity or within the gyms themselves. We appreciate all of your patience with the continued changes! Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
We also would like to thank everyone for your continued support over the past year. It has been a challenging year for everyone, and your individual and combined support has meant the world to the entire Empowering Steps team.
We are looking forward to a fun and sunny summer!
COVID-19 Update: November 7th, 2020
Club Aviva is aware of the November 7 public health order. We have reviewed our COVID safety plan and confirm it meets the requirements set out by viaSport for physically distanced indoor sporting activities. Coaches will ensure "hands-free" instruction unless a participants safety is at risk. Participants are already physically distanced and placed within cohorts. All programs will remain operational at this point in time.
COVID-19 Update: July 31st, 2020
Please complete our quick COVID-19 Parent Survey to help us prepare for Fall programming!
COVID-19 Update: June 12th, 2020
Exciting news! We are thrilled to announce that viaSport has approved a return to sport plan for Gymnastics clubs in BC, and we have prepared an individualized return to sport plan following their guidelines. We will be reopening Monday, June 15, 2020, according to the protocols included in the new Club Aviva COVID-19 Safety Plan.
The Safety Plan has been developed in order to ensure:
- health and safety of all individuals is a priority
- activities are in alignment with provincial health recommendations
- modifications to activities are in place in order to reduce the risks to each sport organization and its participants
- our sport is united and aligned on a plan to reopen throughout the province
While we do hope things will return to normal in the not too distant future, this COVID-19 Safety Plan will be the ‘new normal’ until we are advised otherwise by public health authorities. See our 'Welcome Back' walk-through video below for an idea of what to expect!
COVID-19 Upate: May 14th, 2020
We were recently part of a task force formed to provide ideas towards the safe reopening of gymnastic facilities across the province. A proposal will be submitted within the coming days to viaSport and then to the provincial government, after which we will know better when and how we can open while adhering to the new safety restrictions. We are working hard to find the best and safest way possible to reopen and we hope to be able to relay our plan to everyone soon.
In the meantime, virtual sessions for Empowering Steps, Music Therapy and Speech Therapy have all begun! If you are still interested in signing up for sessions, please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Lastly, we came across a video that is quite potent during these times and is a refreshing perspective on the current worldwide situation. If you would like to take a look, it is called “The Great Realization". As always, we are missing our ES families so much and cannot wait to be able to see everyone again. We are hoping everyone is staying healthy and safe out there!
COVID-19 Update: April 30th, 2020
We are monitoring the latest news updates as the provincial and federal response to the COVID-19 crisis continues to change day by day. At this time, we will not be able to resume regular services as of May 4.
That being said, we are now offering Virtual Learning sessions for Empowering Steps, Music Therapy, and Speech Therapy! Our hope is to stay connected with everyone during this difficult time and continue the amazing progress that was made over the past year.
- Virtual Empowering Steps sessions: will begin as of May 4th
- Music Therapy: has already begun
- Speech Therapy: is currently in the process of being adapted to the virtual platform
Enrollment into these services will be ongoing. If you would like any more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the meantime, the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonny Henry, has stated she will be making announcements in May regarding some businesses reopening. We are working hard to navigate reopening strategies and implement a new COVID-19 response plan for reopening, with safety, physical distancing, sanitizing, and minimizing entry into our facility. We are hopeful for the opportunity to partly reopen and provide in-person services to the end of June, with changes to accommodate COVID-19 safety restrictions.
Our clients and staff mean the world to Club Aviva & Empowering Steps. We are looking forward to Empowering Steps programs reopening so we can have our family back together again.
We will provide our next update on May 14.
A Message from the Empowering Steps team: April 13th, 2020
COVID-19 Update: March 27th, 2020
We hope you and your families are all staying healthy and safe!
As per the current municipal and provincial government regulations, and to ensure the safety of all our Empowering Steps families and staff, all Empowering Steps gym and pool sessions, Occupational Therapy, and Music Therapy sessions will be cancelled until May 4th, 2020. Of course, this situation is ever evolving and, as such, we will update everyone by April 30th, 2020 to confirm the resumption of services.
All of our thoughts are with you and your families during this difficult time. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
COVID-19 Update: March 17th, 2020
All programs are cancelled and we are completely closed starting Wed, Mar 18.
This includes Empowering Steps gym and aqua sessions, Spring Break Intensives, and Occupational and Music Therapy sessions. We will post an update by Friday, March 28th, to inform customers what is happening with sessions after spring break.
COVID-19 Update: March 16th/17th, 2020
Spring Break Intensives
Unfortunately, the current situation surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak has continued to expand and more significant steps are being made to curb the further spread of the virus. Due to the recent developments made this morning by the British Columbian government and after extensive discussions, we will be cancelling our Spring Break Intensives effective immediately.
At this time, regular Empowering Steps sessions will resume on March 28th but, as this situation is changing daily, we will update everyone of any changes. If we are mandated to shut all programs down following Spring Break, we will extend the sessions further into June and offer makeups. We will post an update on this situation no later than Friday, March 27th.
As we have closed Club Aviva due to the continuing progression of the COVID-19 virus and in light of the recent developments and decisions made by the B.C. government, all Occupational Therapy sessions with Katie will be cancelled effective immediately.
We will be re-evaluating the situation on March 27th and will notify all families when we are able to resume services. We hope you and your families stay safe and healthy during this uncertain time. Please reach out to us with any further questions or concerns.
COVID-19 Update: March 14, 2020
In these uncertain times, we wanted to reach out to you personally about what we are doing here at Club Aviva to support you. As the situation around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve, we are doing everything we can to ensure your safety and provide maximum flexibility.
While the COVID-19 situation is changing daily around the world, it is important to note that the BC Centre for Disease Control continues to affirm that the risk to people in British Columbia and Canada is low at this time. Even so, we are mindful that our community is concerned about the potential impact of further spread of COVID-19 and we are acting accordingly to do what we can to support public safety. At this time, all of Club Aviva’s services are operating normally. However, as this situation evolves it may be necessary to make adjustments. Any service changes will be communicated to you.
ES sessions are running as usual until March 16th. During Spring Break we have a scheduled break from sessions. We are following the BC Health advisory and will keep you posted on any changes regarding sessions following the spring break. This weekend we ask you to limit viewing during your child’s session. Anyone not feeling well should stay home. Please remind your child about the importance of hand washing. We have hand sanitizer available for frequent sanitation.
If we are mandated to shut all programs down following the spring break, we will extend the sessions further into June and offer makeups.
Spring Break Intensives
Intensives will be operating over the spring break holidays. We have relaxed our cancellation policy. Cancellations will be allowed and refunded with 24-hour notice if your child is sick, at risk, or has been in contact with someone who is at risk, exhibiting symptoms, or has travelled to an affected area.